Thursday, April 29, 2010

Teacher Professionalism

Today I had my second to last final in my Integrating Music into the Classroom course. For my final, we had to create a 20-25 min. lesson plan that includes an original composition of a song and incorporates standards in the Utah core curriculum. I decided to teach my lesson on Haiku poems.

As I was up in the front teaching the lesson, I realized how cold some of my classmates were. They were animated with other people's teaching presentations, but I really felt I was speaking to a wall the majority of the time. It was pretty much horrible! I will mention one girl in the class who casually decided to step out of the class for the majority of my lesson and came back when I was almost done with my lesson. Was that all she did? OF COURSE NOT! While all of the other students were writing their own Haiku poems and almost ready to present them, she had the nerve to ask in a very rude, and inconsiderate way, "Do we really have to present our poems to the class?" (mind you, there's only 14 of us in the class...including the teacher!!) So being the bigger person, I told her nicely that she didn't have to read hers aloud.

After I finished my lesson, I felt like I was two feet tall. It was a beautiful disaster. In my hopes that my lesson was going to work fantastically, it didn't. =(

Not only that, but the same ladies who were being so rude during my lesson had the nerve to make fun of another classmate's music composition. At this point, my blood was boiling.

After I got out of the class, I called my Mom, cried my eyes out about how my lesson turned out and how rude some of the girls were. That was when I realized a few things after talking to my mom:

1. There are a few people out there who still live in their own little ho-dunk, clickey la la land that have no courtesy toward other's work and don't show respect.

2. I am the only minority in the class. I'm sure seeing a Mexican in their class may make them feel like I won't do well because there aren't very many Latin/Hispanic education majors, so they don't participate in my lesson because I am who I am.

3. I will run into people who won't like me for who I am, so I can't let that stop me from reaching my future goals.

I think the only thing that I needed to worry about was the comments my teacher made, and he actually loved my song! However, it worries me how some of these future educators in my class treated me today. If they don't like minority groups, they better find a different career because they will certainly have diverse students in their classrooms whether they like it or not.

I think they ought to eat a huge slice of humble pie to open their eyes. What do you think?

3 comments:

LaRene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LaRene said...

Comment deleted by mistake. I had not realized how imature and rude that college level students can be. You know who you are and the abilities that you have so just check it off as imature behavior, and keep on the path you are on. Enjoyed our vist last week. Love to both of you.

Lindsay said...

James has a nice saying about how "people are _________ coated _________ with________filling." You can fill in the blanks with the same word. I like to use the words of Moss from the IT Crowd:

"Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them along with this slice of humble pie, that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark egg on your face."

Just keep your chin up! You are better than petty attitudes and jerky actions.